Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Medieval Kitchen

Yesterday was not a good day.  I got sick, and I’m not sure why, but about 2pm I got a migraine and started vomiting.  I also called the bus company today hoping someone had returned my wallet from Friday, but no one had.  But I do have a delicious peach pie, and I’m sure I’ll thoroughly enjoy it once I can stomach it.


The day before, I was feeling southern and domestic so I decided to have some kitchen fun.  I made my peach pie, which was way easier than it should have been.  All you do is cover peaches in sugar, flour and cinnamon and throw them in a crust.  I almost feel guilty that it tastes so good when I hardly had to work for it.


I did realize something though, that I probably knew all along but never really understood, that I have an extremely under-equipped kitchen.  There are so many reasons that I might as well make a list:

  • Rolling Pin:  I didn’t figure this one out until it was time to roll out my top crust for my pie.  Quick Fix: peanut butter jar
  • Basting Brush:  How do you brush the top of your pie with milk?  With your fingers, of course
  • Can Opener: Too bad I bought all that canned soup…
  • Blender: How do you make green monster smoothies with no blender?  You don’t.   And you can forget about that chocolate banana shake too.
  • Mixer:  This one really isn’t a big deal if you want to tone your arms and you own a wooden spoon
  • Wooden Spoon 
  • Tea Kettle:  Although, I suppose my 4qt saucepan could do the trick.  But what kind of barista doesn’t own a tea kettle, or a French press for that matter?
  • And while we’re on the subject, a tea pot would be nice, if I ever do have any hot water to make it with.

Then just when I am about to throw a fit because I can’t make yet another mouth-wateringly delicious recipe, I see this:


And her mouth is watering all over her favorite giraffe. 


How can I be upset?  It’s just not fair.

2 comments:

  1. Well there's your Christmas list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you're not feeling well! Hope it has passed and you are feeling like yourself in no time.

    The pie looks delicious and it sounds like you were able to make do with what you do have! :) Good lesson for us all.

    That Baby Girl is so beautiful. xo

    ReplyDelete