Saturday, September 25, 2010

You've Been Wondering...

Today is a lazy day.  After not seeing David for two days, no thanks to school, we decided to sleep in this morning.  Unfortunately, that meant I would miss the Market Square Farmer's Market for the first time.  I promised David I'd make a peach pie, so I'll have to make a special trip to Whole Foods this weekend.  The peach season is quickly coming to a close here in the South, so I need to get my apron on and cook it up before they're gone.

I've been slacking a little on the blog.  I felt guilty and ashamed for skipping the top tens because of my inadequacy as a stay-at-home-mom.  But, now I'm back and courage and ferocity!  As for my Top Ten Favorite Recipes,  I'm not going to list the actual recipes, because they are not my own.  All you have to know is that I love them.

Top Ten Favorite Recipes

Chicken and Dumpling Soup  In my opinion, there is nothing better.  I ask my mother for this every year for my birthday.  So filling and mouth-watering.  (I'm drooling just thinking about it.)

French Silk Pie  I tried making this once and it didn't turn out so well.  I prefer to be lazy and just order it from Perkins.  I'm a sell-out, I know.

My mom's Raspberry Cream Pie.   Particularly with her  Pretzel Pie Crust.  I love anything that combines crunchy, salty, creamy and sweet.

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches  I.  LOVE.  CHEESE.  I learned to master this one at a very young age.

Marinara Pasta Sauce  So easy, so tasty.  I love pasta sauce from fresh tomatoes.  I'll never eat canned tomato sauce again.  Plus, the bigger the mess you make, the better it tastes.

Pumpkin Bread  I've made this for every family gathering for several years.  I try a different combo every time, the only one I didn't like had molasses in it.

Megan's Borscht  I requested this specifically at my pot-luck wedding.

Iced Mochas  This combines three of my favorite things, chocolate, milk and coffee.  Plus, this is usually a safe bet at any coffee shop.  It's pretty hard to screw up.

Double-Dipped French Toast  I got this idea from Emily at The Front Burner Blog.  You just fry your french toast, dip it and fry it again.  Double-dipped and twice as tasty.

Café Miel  It's a latté with honey and cinnamon.  It's basically a hug in a cup.


Speaking of Iced Mochas, I've been trying to make them at home, using my Italian Moka pot.  It's pretty close, but a little weaker than the real thing.  I can't have my coffee straight any more because it tastes like burnt rubber from leaving it on the stove too long, too many times.

Enough about me.  I know you've all been wondering what the heck is up with the Little. 

She's getting very strong.  She has been holding her head up on her own very well.  She gets a great workout from all her fussing.  When we go out for walks, she loves to look around at the leaves and the lights, and she always makes people's heads turn when they see her big round blue eyes  She still loves to talk, and she comes up with new sounds all the time.  I've even caught her giggling once or twice.  

Unfortunately, the poor little precious has outgrown her baby-zantac, so her acid reflux has come back with a vengeance.  She tells me about it every day.

 We have been primarily been using the Baby Bjørn to carry her, but lately I've started using the Moby d Wrap.  I didn't realize how much more comfortable this was until after weeks of using the other carrier.  Unfortunately, it is also a lot warmer and since the temperature has been near ninety all week, I haven't been able to really use it.

 Now I'm off with the peanut head to see her daddy.  He promised me we'd have family painting night.  I really need to make something to fill our condo.  As David said,  it's looking a little too institutional.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Katy, this summer, I made all-organic borscht, and it tastes even better! If you haven't checked out organic 'Better than Boullion' yet, I'd recommend that you do, if you want to make stews or soups!

    Do you need me to send you some new rubber rings for the moka?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I missed this one! Oh my word, she is too cute for words! And the baby too! heehee

    You're making me hungry. And borscht is one of my favorite things in life.

    ReplyDelete