Monday, February 14, 2011

Love of My Life

Do you ever suddenly realize something you should have probably known all along?  Something you always say, but you never really GET IT?  It happens a lot to me, because I have a hard time with clichés and over-used phrases, like "love of my life" or "Jesus loves you" or "for the rest of my life."  Last night, the phrase was "grow old together."
David and I have been together for a relatively short time, in the grand-scheme of things.  Next Monday, we will be celebrating three years together,  and we are only one month past our first wedding anniversary.  Veteran couples love to tell couples with fewer years under their belts, "Just wait" or "You haven't seen nothin' yet" as if saying your vows would bring on some form of punishment.   I shouldn't be too skeptical, because I might find myself saying that one day, too.  I know marriage is difficult.  I've gone through more changes in my first year than most couples go through in their first five.  But I would still rather spend every stressful day with David, than fuss and toil for my own selfish needs.
Since the day we were married, I have been more fulfilled, more confident, and more happy.  Everyday that we spend together tests us and makes us better people.  We may fight, but we always end up with a better understanding of each other.
I never really had a plan for my life.  I never thought I'd be married with a little girl, and I certainly never saw myself in a place like Virgina, and today I'm glad I never did.  You might call that following God's plan, but I think it's probably lack of foresight.  In my life I have very few plans, and they are to be a good mother, and to grow old with my husband.  If those things happen, I will die a very satisfied woman.



Happy Valentine's Day!  I hope you feel loved today.

"This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.  This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.
... God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.  This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus.  There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear..."
1 John 4

No comments:

Post a Comment