Monday, August 15, 2011

These Little Piggies Went to Market

   Mid-August is my new favorite time of year, especially in Virginia.  I might not like the ridiculous temperatures and the off-the-charts humidity, but the food is absolutely heavenly. 

 

   Last Saturday, we all went to Eastern Market for a special trip to the farmer's market.  Last summer I often shopped for produce at markets,  but we haven't been able to this summer.  We considered this our special treat, and our trip happened to fall on National Farmer's Market Week, too.

 

    Overall, Eastern Market is my favorite outdoor market in Metro DC.  It's right up Constitution Avenue from the Capitol Building in a historic red-brick building where they have a huge deli, a flower shop and a restaurant.  On Saturdays and Sundays they have an outdoor flea market and farmer's market. 
   I was somewhat disappointed that the flea market didn't have many resale vendors with used home goods or clothing, and the ones that do won't negotiate prices.  There are many artists there I would love to support if I had money to spend on novelties and artwork.  The deli and the farm stands are really where this market shines, and where you can find the most variety.

  
  Many of my favorite foods were in season like berries, peppers and peaches.  I honestly can't pick favorites when it comes to fresh, organic produce.  

 

 

And, oh, the tomatoes!  Cherry tomatoes, chocolate tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, grape tomatoes and heirloom tomatoes of every color, shape and size; I was sad I could only pick three kinds.  



   Little's favorites were the blackberries, which were like juice-bombs, and my home-grown grape tomatoes.







1 comment:

  1. Oh my!  These images are delicious!  Chocolate tomatoes.  Could there be anything better?  I'm growing chocolate mint in a pot and it smells so good, it would make you weep.  Annora looks as good to eat as the blackberries and they look good on her.  Love you Katy and all the rest of your gang.  

    ReplyDelete